Man surrenders for duping Martyr Lance Naik Hemraj`s wife
Mathura: A man has been sent to judicial custody by an Agra court after he surrendered on charges of duping the wife of martyr Lance Naik Hemraj, who was beheaded by Pakistani soldiers earlier this year.
In April, the widow of Hemraj, Dharmvati was duped of Rs 10 lakh by the accused Harendra Singh, who had claimed that he was an army officer and sent by the Army Headquarters.
The accused convinced Dharmvati that it would be beneficial for her if she invests Rs 10 lakh in some scheme suggested by him. When she agreed to withdraw the amount from bank he went with Dharmvati and her family members to Kosi Kalan based bank from where he fled with the money, SSP R K S Rathore said.
"Rs three lakh cash, a car purchased from the cheated money, uniform of a soldier has been recovered from his possession," Rathore said.
According to the police, Singh has duped over a dozen families including Rs 3.5 lakh from a family in Allahabad, Rs 1.10 lakh from a martyr`s family in Aligarh, Rs 50,000 from another family in Aligarh, Rs One lakh from Agra, Rs 60,000 from a family in Mahua, Rajasthan.
"To avoid arrest he has been living in Noida for some time. Finding pressure of arrest from SWAT team as well as Kosi Kalan police, he surrendered in a court in Agra," Rathore said.
"The accused was taken on remand from the court for two day. During course of interrogation, he confessed to have committed aforesaid crime," he added.
A reward of Rs 10,000 has been declared for the SWAT team and police team of Kosi Kalan police station by DIG Agra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest