Man`s marriage with step-mom a `rape`: Darul Uloom
Muzaffarnagar: A leading Islamic seminary has declared the marriage of a 23-year-old man with his step-mother as "null and void", ruling that such a relationship will be treated as "rape" and the culprits will be punishable under the religious law.
"Islam prohibits such marriages. According to Shariat law, the marriage is shameful and illegal. The relationship will be treated as rape", Deputy Vice Chancellor of the Darul
Uloom Deoband, Maulana Abdul Khalique Madrasi, told reporters here Tursday.
The incident involves Ronak Ali, a married man, who ran away and tied the knot with his 38-year-old step-mother Husno Begum at Goripur village in Baghpat district last week.
Following this, Ali`s father Iqbal lodged a missing persons` complaint with the local police.
According to the complaint, Iqbal had married Husno Begum five years ago after the death of his first wife. Ronak was already married to another woman for a year before he eloped with his step-mother on June 13.
Ronak and Husno Begum returned to their village yesterday and a fight ensued between the son and the father, prompting police to intervene, a police official said.
They produced the duo and Iqbal before Sub-Divisional Magistrate Lalmani Mishra, who recorded their statement that they be allowed to live as per their wishes
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- 150 soldiers, 2 canines - Bravehearts who rescued Lance Naik Koppad from Siachen Glacier