Massive fire in Uttar Pradesh warehouse
Lucknow: A massive blaze at a cold storage in Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district destroyed equipment and stocks of spices and dry fruits worth over Rs.20 crore, police said Monday. No casualty has been reported.
The fire engulfed the Vishwamitra cold storage facility in Sarnath area late Sunday, following which 20 fire tenders were pressed into service.
"It was a massive fire. Firefighters took some hours to douse the flames completely," police Inspector Krishna Kumar Pandey told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
Initially, the fire broke out in a portion of the cold storage late Saturday following an electric short-circuit, but the flames were not completely put out, Pandey said.
"It appears that with gusts of wind, the flames spread to other areas late Sunday.
"While the exact financial loss is yet to be ascertained, at the moment it is pegged at around Rs.20 crore," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump