Massive fire in Uttar Pradesh warehouse
Lucknow: A massive blaze at a cold storage in Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district destroyed equipment and stocks of spices and dry fruits worth over Rs.20 crore, police said Monday. No casualty has been reported.
The fire engulfed the Vishwamitra cold storage facility in Sarnath area late Sunday, following which 20 fire tenders were pressed into service.
"It was a massive fire. Firefighters took some hours to douse the flames completely," police Inspector Krishna Kumar Pandey told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
Initially, the fire broke out in a portion of the cold storage late Saturday following an electric short-circuit, but the flames were not completely put out, Pandey said.
"It appears that with gusts of wind, the flames spread to other areas late Sunday.
"While the exact financial loss is yet to be ascertained, at the moment it is pegged at around Rs.20 crore," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- After its cheapest ride offer, Ola now launches luxury rides
- Narsingh Yadav selection over Sushil Kumar for 2016 Rio Olympics was fair: WFI tells HC
- B-schools not doing enough to bridge skills gap: Survey
- BMW recalls 120,000 cars over Takata air bags
- Nine-time champion Rafael Nadal pulls out of French Open with wrist injury