Massive fire in Uttar Pradesh warehouse
Lucknow: A massive blaze at a cold storage in Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district destroyed equipment and stocks of spices and dry fruits worth over Rs.20 crore, police said Monday. No casualty has been reported.
The fire engulfed the Vishwamitra cold storage facility in Sarnath area late Sunday, following which 20 fire tenders were pressed into service.
"It was a massive fire. Firefighters took some hours to douse the flames completely," police Inspector Krishna Kumar Pandey told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
Initially, the fire broke out in a portion of the cold storage late Saturday following an electric short-circuit, but the flames were not completely put out, Pandey said.
"It appears that with gusts of wind, the flames spread to other areas late Sunday.
"While the exact financial loss is yet to be ascertained, at the moment it is pegged at around Rs.20 crore," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical