Massive fire in Uttar Pradesh warehouse
Lucknow: A massive blaze at a cold storage in Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district destroyed equipment and stocks of spices and dry fruits worth over Rs.20 crore, police said Monday. No casualty has been reported.
The fire engulfed the Vishwamitra cold storage facility in Sarnath area late Sunday, following which 20 fire tenders were pressed into service.
"It was a massive fire. Firefighters took some hours to douse the flames completely," police Inspector Krishna Kumar Pandey told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow.
Initially, the fire broke out in a portion of the cold storage late Saturday following an electric short-circuit, but the flames were not completely put out, Pandey said.
"It appears that with gusts of wind, the flames spread to other areas late Sunday.
"While the exact financial loss is yet to be ascertained, at the moment it is pegged at around Rs.20 crore," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre