Mata Prasad Pandey elected as UP Assembly Speaker
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party leader and MLA from Itwa constituency Mata Prasad Pandey was on Friday elected unopposed as the Speaker of Uttar Pradesh Assembly.
Pandey, whose nomination was the only one filed for the post, was today declared elected, official sources said.
Newly-elected MLAs of all the parties, including Independents, supported Pandey`s candidature, they said.
This will be Pandey`s second stint as Speaker. He had previously held the post during the last Samajwadi Party regime, under Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Pandey has been elected to the Assembly six times. He takes over from BSP`s Sukhdeo Rajbhar, who was the Speaker in the 15th Assembly.
Leaders of all political parties, including Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, congratulated Pandey`s election and promised him support in the smooth running of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list