Mata Prasad Pandey elected as UP Assembly Speaker
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party leader and MLA from Itwa constituency Mata Prasad Pandey was on Friday elected unopposed as the Speaker of Uttar Pradesh Assembly.
Pandey, whose nomination was the only one filed for the post, was today declared elected, official sources said.
Newly-elected MLAs of all the parties, including Independents, supported Pandey`s candidature, they said.
This will be Pandey`s second stint as Speaker. He had previously held the post during the last Samajwadi Party regime, under Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Pandey has been elected to the Assembly six times. He takes over from BSP`s Sukhdeo Rajbhar, who was the Speaker in the 15th Assembly.
Leaders of all political parties, including Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, congratulated Pandey`s election and promised him support in the smooth running of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Kiren Rijiju celebrates anti-emergency day, says BJP against "dictatorship"
- Minister, 15 others killed in Somalia hotel attack
- Congress stages dharnas demanding resignation of 21 AAP MLAs
- ISIS suspect first to turn informer for British spies: Report
- Terence Lewis to financially help TV show contestants