Mathura clashes: UP govt not for judicial probe
Mathura: The Uttar Pradesh government is not contemplating a judicial probe into the Kosi Kalan riots in which four persons were killed and 16 others injured, a senior minister said on Sunday.
"The government has already made it clear in the state assembly that it is not in the favour of ordering a judicial probe in the riots as it is a time consuming process," State Minister for Urban development Mohammad Azam Khan told reporters at Kosi Kalan, about 45 kms from here.
Extending full cooperation to the traders, he asked them to re-open their shops.
Annoyed over the allegations levelled against few members of their fraternity during the riots, the traders have kept their shutters down.
He appealed to the traders to re-open their shops since they would be provided full protection.
The traders will not be forced to re-open their shops, the Minister added.
"The incident is a challenge for the state government, and required efforts are being made to get to the root of the matter," Khan said.
Four persons were killed and 16 others injured after communal clashes broke out in Kosi Kalan, about 45 km from Mathura, on June 1, reportedly after a pedestrian used water meant for some religious purpose.
171 persons, including Agriculture Minister in the previous BSP regime, Choudhary Laxmi Narayan, and his brother Lekhraj Choudhary, an MLC, have been named in different cases registered after the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price