Mauni Amavasya: Over 3 crore devotees take holy dip in Sangam
Allahabad: Over three crore devotees led by ascetics of Hindu sects on Sunday took a holy dip at Sangam on `Mauni Amavasya`, considered the most auspicious day of bathing during the 12-yearly Kumbh congregation here.
"As per our estimates, three crore people have taken a holy dip till 3 PM. The influx of visitors has slowed down a bit since then but the turn-out has already exceeded our expectations," Kumbh Mela Officer Mani Prasad Mishra told PTI.
"No untoward incident has been reported from any part of the Kumbh area so far," he said.
The sprawling city of tents, spread across 6,000 acres, may have briefly become the most populous place in the world on account of this unusually high turnout.
A sea of devotees kept surging towards the confluence of the holy rivers Ganga, Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati throughout the day, while the 13 `akharas` took out their processions for the second `Shahi Snan` during the Maha Kumbh.
Amid chants of `Har Har Gange`, devotees including a fair sprinkling of foreigners, watched awestruck as `naga sadhus` with their matted hair, ash-smeared naked bodies adorned with garlands of marigold and `rudraksh` moved in processions with their `Shri Mahants` and `Mahamandaleshwars` perched atop decorated chariots, horses and elephants.
In fact, the ritual of bathing started from yesterday afternoon itself when `Mauni Amavasya` began according to the Hindu almanac and reached its crescendo this morning.
A steady stream of devotees was seen at railway stations and bus stations where people from nearby as well as far-off places took to roads and pathways all of which seemed to be leading towards the Sangam on this day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal