Maurya appointed BSP`s national general secretary
Lucknow: Leader of Opposition in Uttar Pradesh Vidhan Sabha, Swamy Prasad Maurya, was on Friday assigned the additional responsibly of national general secretary of Bahujan Samaj Party.
BSP supremo Mayawati, while appreciating the contribution of Maurya in motivating the people of Kushwaha and other backward castes to join the BSP movement and help increase party`s vote-bank, today made the announcement.
In a statement Mayawati said that she has always worked towards the uplift of all sections of the society, especially those of the deprived, Dalits and backwards sections.
Mayawati claimed that in all her tenures as CM she has taken "historical steps" to ensure that these sections were not deprived of their honour and rights, but regretted that some "selfish people" in her party have played into the hands of opposition parties and made efforts to weaken the movement.
The former CM, however, said that she had never held the caste, that these "selfish people" represented, responsible for their acts, as she believed that the caste and its people should not be punished for the wrongdoings of individuals.
Meanwhile, Maurya has thanked his leader and promised that he would discharge his duties with dedication and honesty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video