Maurya appointed BSP`s national general secretary
Lucknow: Leader of Opposition in Uttar Pradesh Vidhan Sabha, Swamy Prasad Maurya, was on Friday assigned the additional responsibly of national general secretary of Bahujan Samaj Party.
BSP supremo Mayawati, while appreciating the contribution of Maurya in motivating the people of Kushwaha and other backward castes to join the BSP movement and help increase party`s vote-bank, today made the announcement.
In a statement Mayawati said that she has always worked towards the uplift of all sections of the society, especially those of the deprived, Dalits and backwards sections.
Mayawati claimed that in all her tenures as CM she has taken "historical steps" to ensure that these sections were not deprived of their honour and rights, but regretted that some "selfish people" in her party have played into the hands of opposition parties and made efforts to weaken the movement.
The former CM, however, said that she had never held the caste, that these "selfish people" represented, responsible for their acts, as she believed that the caste and its people should not be punished for the wrongdoings of individuals.
Meanwhile, Maurya has thanked his leader and promised that he would discharge his duties with dedication and honesty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far