Maya demands inclusion of Jats in OBC category
Lucknow: After demanding reservation for
minorities and upper caste poor, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati on Monday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asking
him to include Jat community in OBC category.
"The CM in her letter has requested him to include
Jats in Other Backward Class category," an official spokesman
"The Jat community`s main occupation is agriculture and
its related work but due to deteriorating agricultural land
conditions, their economic condition is not good. They are
also backward in the field of education. Keeping this in mind,
the state government on March 10, 2000 included Jats in OBC
category," the letter said.
Stating that Centre had included Jats of Rajasthan in OBC
category, Mayawati said the community in Uttar Pradesh should
be given the same status.
Interestingly, Mayawati had yesterday written a letter to
PM demanding introduction of quota for the poor among upper
castes on financial grounds.
The chief minister had written a similar letter to the PM
on September 17 asking for constitutional amendment to provide
quota to minorities, especially Muslims.
Opposition parties including BJP, Congress and Samajwadi
Party have criticised the BSP government and termed the move
as a political one to gain political advantage for the next
year`s Assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof