Maya govt recommends CBI probe into NRHM death
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh Government on Sunday
recommended a CBI probe into the death of Health Department
accountant Mahendra Kumar Sharma in Lakhimpur Kheri district.
"The state government has recommended the probe and a
letter in this regard has been sent by the state", a senior
Home Department official said.
The NRHM scam in the state had turned murkier with
Sharma`s death, the fifth victim in the last one year after
the alleged bungling of over Rs 10,000 crore of central funds
Sharma, 52, who was reported missing since February 7 was
found lying in a pool of blood with severe injuries on his
head and face, from the Pasgawan health centre of Lakhimpur on
Two days later on February 17, an FIR was registered
against six health officials, including the chief medical
officer and his deputy under sections 302 (murder) and 120 b
Those against whom FIR was lodged included Chief Medical
Officer (CMO) Dr J P Bhargava, Deputy CMO Balbir Singh,
Pasgawan Community Health Centre (CHC) incharge Dr S C Gupta
and Pasgwan CHC clerks Rajesh Hans, Kuldeep and Munna Lal.
Ante-mortem smothering was stated to be the cause of the
death in the autopsy report. Six injury marks were also found
on his body.
Victim`s wife Mithilesh had demanded CBI probe into the
matter while alleging that her husband was murdered and
suspected five health department officials, including Pasgawan
community health centre incharge.
Sharma was stated to be fifth victim in the alleged NRHM
In 2010-11, two senior doctors Vinod Kumar Arya and B P
Singh associated with the health department were murdered
within months of each other.
Another doctor Y S Sachan, one of the accused in NRHM
scam was found dead in a Lucknow jail.
In January, a UP Jal Nigam engineer Sunil Verma allegedly
committed suicide becase he was being investigated in
connection with the scam.
The news of Sharma`s death had generated a lot of hue
and cry in the poll season, with opposition parties targeting
BSP over the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi