Maya hits back at Congress, EC on her birthday
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati on Sunday used her birthday speech to hit back at the Election Commission and the Opposition, saying the poll panel’s decision to cover her statues was one-sided and biased.
Mayawati, who celebrated a low-key birthday today as the model code of conduct is in force ahead of the UP elections, said the BSP and its supporters cannot swallow the EC’s decision to cover statues of the party’s chief and its symbol elephant across the state.
The CM said elephant statues were not erected in parks as party symbols. They were erected as part of party ideologue Babu Kanshi Ram’s will, she stated.
The EC should also take decision on Congress symbol displayed in a Chandigarh park and RLD`s symbol hand pump put up with government funds, Mayawati demanded.
Calling the EC’s decision biased, the CM said the poll panel should have taken a correct decision on the matter.
Mayawati quipped by thanking the EC and Opposition parties for giving publicity to her and the party symbol ahead of the polls.
Meanwhile, the BSP chief also released a list of all 403 candidates for the UP Assembly elections.
The party has given tickets to 88 SC candidates, 113 OBCs, 85 minorities (including Muslims) and 117 upper castes including 74 Brahmins, among others.
The CM said no corrupt ministers and MLAs have been included in the list. Only clean people have been given tickets, she added.
Meanwhile, reacting to Mayawati’s statements Congress said the UP CM should not attack the poll panel.
Party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said the Congress too refrained from saying anything when the EC put on hold 4.5% minority quota announced by the Central government before the poll schedule was announced.
Alvi further said elephants are BSP’s poll symbols and they ought to be covered before elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof