Maya raj: Journo `forcibly` picked up by police
Lucknow: A senior TV journalist was allegedly picked up "forcibly" by police in Hazratganj area here on Sunday night.
Shalabh Mani Tripathi, state bureau chief of a Hindi news channel, was picked up by SP (City) BP Ashok and Circle Officer Anup Kumar while he was coming out of his office.
Tripathi alleged that he and his colleague were not only manhandled but also abused by the cops.
“They caught us by the collar. You are mafia and we won’t leave you. They abused not just me, but also the entire media fraternity,” Tripathi said.
Tripathi’s assistant was also reportedly thrashed before being taken to the police station. The duo were released shortly afterwards.
However, the media fraternity in the city came out in support of Tripathi and organised a dharna outside Chief Minister’s residence late at night, following which the concerned police officers were suspended pending investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS