Maya reminds PM of quota for Muslims, Jats
Lucknow: With an eye on the Uttar Pradesh
Assembly polls, Chief Minister Mayawati on Monday shot off a
reminder to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking reservation
for Muslims and Jats.
She sent the reminder a week after she had raised the
demand for these sections by increasing reservation quota and
earmarking separate percentage for them as per their
population, an official release today said.
She has also sought quota for the poor among the upper
castes on the basis of their economic condition.
Mayawati also demanded that certain backward castes like
Kahar, Rajbhar and Dheemar among others under the OBC list be
included among the Scheduled Castes list with the condition of
increasing the quota as per their population.
She said that if required the government should take steps
to amend the Constitution.
Referring to Sachar committee recommendations, she said
Muslims required opportunities in the field on education and
government jobs for their all round development.
She said that Jats too have inadequate representation in
central services and lagged behind socially and in the field
Mayawati also demanded reservation in the private sector
and judiciary as well as all other areas which have been
hitherto kept out of the ambit of reservations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH