Maya spent Rs 86 crore to renovate her bungalow
Lucknow: BSP supremo Mayawati spent a staggering Rs 86 crores of government funds to renovate her sprawling Mall Avenue bungalow when she was Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh with some windows costing Rs 15 lakh each.
Details of the renovation work and the expenditure incurred were brought in public domain in a RTI reply by the Estate Department to an application filed by PWD minister and Samajwadi party leader Shivpal Singh Yadav when he was leader of opposition. The house is being occupied by Mayawati in her capacity as the former chief minister.
Yadav said an inquiry has been ordered and strict action would be taken against those found guilty of irregularities.
Details of the RTI reply were released by the Samajwadi party in a statement released to press today.
The money, which was spent by the Estate department, could touch Rs 100 crore as the department is assessing the exact cost spent on it, according to an official.
The renovation work of the house, which covers about five acres of prime land in Lucknow`s 13 Mall Avenue, commenced soon after Mayawati became the chief minister for the fourth time in 2007 but the work was completed only towards the end of her tenure early this year.
Mayawati added the land in the adjacent cane commissioner`s office and demolished its building to include the area in 13 Mall Avenue which was originally only 2.5 acres.
The main single-storeyed building has six inter-connected rooms which opens to a wide corridor containing rows of lockers.
On a wall in this corridor hangs a neatly framed large picture of Mayawati taking her oath as UP chief minister for the first time in 1995.
Outside the corridor is a verandah with only two windows, both fitted with bullet-proof glass. Each window cost Rs 15 lakh and was specially designed for the house in Chandigarh, according to the RTI reply.
There is a separate two-storeyed well-furnished guesthouse with 14 bedrooms, with pink Italian marble flooring and a meeting hall on the same campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video