Maya spent Rs 86 crore to renovate her bungalow
Lucknow: BSP supremo Mayawati spent a staggering Rs 86 crores of government funds to renovate her sprawling Mall Avenue bungalow when she was Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh with some windows costing Rs 15 lakh each.
Details of the renovation work and the expenditure incurred were brought in public domain in a RTI reply by the Estate Department to an application filed by PWD minister and Samajwadi party leader Shivpal Singh Yadav when he was leader of opposition. The house is being occupied by Mayawati in her capacity as the former chief minister.
Yadav said an inquiry has been ordered and strict action would be taken against those found guilty of irregularities.
Details of the RTI reply were released by the Samajwadi party in a statement released to press today.
The money, which was spent by the Estate department, could touch Rs 100 crore as the department is assessing the exact cost spent on it, according to an official.
The renovation work of the house, which covers about five acres of prime land in Lucknow`s 13 Mall Avenue, commenced soon after Mayawati became the chief minister for the fourth time in 2007 but the work was completed only towards the end of her tenure early this year.
Mayawati added the land in the adjacent cane commissioner`s office and demolished its building to include the area in 13 Mall Avenue which was originally only 2.5 acres.
The main single-storeyed building has six inter-connected rooms which opens to a wide corridor containing rows of lockers.
On a wall in this corridor hangs a neatly framed large picture of Mayawati taking her oath as UP chief minister for the first time in 1995.
Outside the corridor is a verandah with only two windows, both fitted with bullet-proof glass. Each window cost Rs 15 lakh and was specially designed for the house in Chandigarh, according to the RTI reply.
There is a separate two-storeyed well-furnished guesthouse with 14 bedrooms, with pink Italian marble flooring and a meeting hall on the same campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users