Maya wants board exams in March to delay polls
Allahabad: In a tactical move which can help the Uttar Pradesh government in the coming assembly elections, UP Board of Secondary Education has announced its schedule to hold exams in March –a move preferred by Mayawati’s BSP.
A report published in a leading daily, Thursday, claimed that the announcement to hold board examination in March will put extra pressure on the Election Commission, which is on its toes to complete the electoral work by the end of February.
Holding the board exams in March will force the Election Commission to postpone elections till April, which is likely to give more time to the Mayawati government to prepare for polls.
By announcing the March 1-April 4 schedule, the UP Board of Secondary Education has cautioned the EC that holding assembly polls before examination will hamper students` preparations and cut teachers available for the election duty.
Meanwhile, the practical exams will also start from January 15 and will continue till mid-February.
“The EC had already been notified about the schedule,”Anno Prabha Tripathi, secretary, UP Board, was quoted as saying.
Traditionally, UP Board examinations start towards the end of March first week and continue till the middle of April. Last year, the exams began on March 17 as teachers were involved in the Census work.
However, this year by starting the exams from March 1 and finishing well before the usual date (March 24 for the high school and April 4 for the intermediate), the UP government seems to have left enough window to hold the elections in April-a schedule Mayawati prefers.
BSP wants to hold the elections in April so that by virtue of its majority, it could get maximum members elected to the Rajya Sabha, the biennial poll for which is also due before April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp