Maya’s jumbo scam: EOW likely to take over probe
Lucknow: The ongoing probe into the installation of elephant statues by the previous Mayawati government, in which Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav sensed a scam to the tune of Rs 40,000 crore, is likely to be transferred to the Economic Offences Wing.
The district police, which is probing the matter, is of the view that since it is a "big issue" a specialised agency like the EOW should inquire into it.
"The tender system of the Rashtriya Nirman Nigam was faulty as payments from Rs 4.24 lakh to 71 lakh have been made for elephants and it is a very big issue," DIG (Lucknow) Ashotosh Pandey said.
There were about eight firms which had supplied stone structures for Noida and Lucknow, he said adding recommendation for an EOW inquiry would be sent soon.
Director General of Police A C Sharma, when contacted, said a request for EOW inquiry has to be made by the district police and so far it has not been received.
"If we receive a request in this regard, further action on handing over the probe will be taken," the DGP said.
Earlier in the day, Akhilesh had said the alleged financial fraud could be to the tune of Rs 40,000 crore.
The district police had yesterday carried out searches at the office of Rajkiya Nirman Nigam at Gomti Nagar in connection with alleged irregularities in installation of statues of elephants at parks in Lucknow and Noida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon