Maya’s jumbo scam: EOW likely to take over probe
Lucknow: The ongoing probe into the installation of elephant statues by the previous Mayawati government, in which Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav sensed a scam to the tune of Rs 40,000 crore, is likely to be transferred to the Economic Offences Wing.
The district police, which is probing the matter, is of the view that since it is a "big issue" a specialised agency like the EOW should inquire into it.
"The tender system of the Rashtriya Nirman Nigam was faulty as payments from Rs 4.24 lakh to 71 lakh have been made for elephants and it is a very big issue," DIG (Lucknow) Ashotosh Pandey said.
There were about eight firms which had supplied stone structures for Noida and Lucknow, he said adding recommendation for an EOW inquiry would be sent soon.
Director General of Police A C Sharma, when contacted, said a request for EOW inquiry has to be made by the district police and so far it has not been received.
"If we receive a request in this regard, further action on handing over the probe will be taken," the DGP said.
Earlier in the day, Akhilesh had said the alleged financial fraud could be to the tune of Rs 40,000 crore.
The district police had yesterday carried out searches at the office of Rajkiya Nirman Nigam at Gomti Nagar in connection with alleged irregularities in installation of statues of elephants at parks in Lucknow and Noida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor