Maya’s jumbo scam: EOW likely to take over probe
Lucknow: The ongoing probe into the installation of elephant statues by the previous Mayawati government, in which Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav sensed a scam to the tune of Rs 40,000 crore, is likely to be transferred to the Economic Offences Wing.
The district police, which is probing the matter, is of the view that since it is a "big issue" a specialised agency like the EOW should inquire into it.
"The tender system of the Rashtriya Nirman Nigam was faulty as payments from Rs 4.24 lakh to 71 lakh have been made for elephants and it is a very big issue," DIG (Lucknow) Ashotosh Pandey said.
There were about eight firms which had supplied stone structures for Noida and Lucknow, he said adding recommendation for an EOW inquiry would be sent soon.
Director General of Police A C Sharma, when contacted, said a request for EOW inquiry has to be made by the district police and so far it has not been received.
"If we receive a request in this regard, further action on handing over the probe will be taken," the DGP said.
Earlier in the day, Akhilesh had said the alleged financial fraud could be to the tune of Rs 40,000 crore.
The district police had yesterday carried out searches at the office of Rajkiya Nirman Nigam at Gomti Nagar in connection with alleged irregularities in installation of statues of elephants at parks in Lucknow and Noida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi