Mayawati afraid of Samajwadi Party`s achievements: Akhilesh Yadav
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday lashed out at Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supremo Mayawati for lampooning the Samajwadi Party`s laptop scheme, saying the opposition leader is not in a position to talk when she had spent crores of rupees installing statues glorifying self rather than using those funds for the state`s development.
"Today, the money of the people is being used for the welfare of students, farmers and building of hospitals. If new medical colleges are being built and run, over 350 students have got the opportunity to get an MBBS degree. They (BSP) have become afraid of the achievements of the Samajwadi Party Government," he told media here.
Mayawati had earlier in the day criticised the Samajwadi Party (SP) Government in Uttar Pradesh for distributing laptops to students, and described it to be a political gimmick to divert the attention of the people from the deteriorating law and order condition in the state.
"People of Uttar Pradesh are very unhappy with the law and order situation and lack of development activities. Law and order situation in UP is worse than what media reports, especially women are really suffering," Mayawati said.
"But to divert attention from the crumbling law and order situation, this SP government starts distributing free laptops, and these laptops are mostly given to students who are associated with Samajwadi Party workers," she added.
Akhilesh Yadav, who distributed free laptops at Lucknow University here today, said that it would help youngsters get good jobs.
The Uttar Pradesh Government`s ambitious free laptop scheme to class XII passout students is a part of the Samajwadi Party`s election pledge.
Yadav has distributed 80,000 laptops so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA