Mayawati announces sops worth over Rs 600 crore for lawyers
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati Thursday sanctioned funds worth Rs 610 crore for benefit of the state`s lawyers, including Rs 500 crore for a new
building of Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court.
"Previous governments had announced a host of schemes for
lawyers, but had done nothing in reality and no action was
taken on these announcements," Mayawati said addressing a
function here on the occasion of the 120th birth anniversary
of Dr B R Ambedkar.
She said the issue of a new building of the Lucknow bench
of Allahabad High Court has been pending for a long time and
her government has decided to provide Rs 500 crore for it.
"The Centre has not released its share so far, but the state government has decided to release its 70 per cent share. Additional funds will also be provided if required," she claimed.
Mayawati said her government has also decided to sanction
Rs 60 crore for the board of trustees for insurance of
lawyers, pension to their widows, chambers and computers in
"An additional fund of Rs 50 crore will be sanctioned for
the library facility for judges and to meet their other
requirements in consultation with the Chief Justice," she
The Chief Minister said free legal facilities would be
provided to BPL card holders and beneficiaries of Mukhyamantri
Mahamaya Gareeb Arthik Madad Yojna to contest cases except
those in which the government is a party.
She alleged that previous governments had announced
schemes to mislead lawyers as no budgetary provision was made
for the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof