Mayawati DA case: Review petition in SC
New Delhi: Two days after the CBI decided not to seek review of the Supreme Court order, which had quashed the disproportionate assets case against former UP Chief Minister Mayawati, a review petition was filed before the apex court for reconsidering the verdict.
The petition has been filed by an Uttar Pradesh native Kamlesh Verma who was an intervener in the case filed by Mayawati in the apex court for quashing of the DA case against her.
Seeking review of the July 6 judgement, the petitioner contended that the apex court had decided the case merely on technical grounds without appreciating the evidence collected by the CBI against Mayawati.
"The judgment under review belies the requirement of public policy that cases of corruption by public servants cannot be dealt with by courts with a technical approach. Rather, public policy required that even if there was some technical flaw in the investigation, the same could not have been given precedence over the overwhelming evidence collected by the CBI against Mayawati," the petition said.
"This court could not have simply let the accused go scot-free, thus, rendering, the evidence nothing more than bundles of waste paper," the petition said.
In a major relief to BSP supremo Mayawati, the Supreme Court had on July 6 quashed a nine-year-long disproportionate assets case against her and pulled up the CBI for exceeding its jurisdiction by lodging an FIR against her without any direction from it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you