Mayawati DA case: Review petition in SC
New Delhi: Two days after the CBI decided not to seek review of the Supreme Court order, which had quashed the disproportionate assets case against former UP Chief Minister Mayawati, a review petition was filed before the apex court for reconsidering the verdict.
The petition has been filed by an Uttar Pradesh native Kamlesh Verma who was an intervener in the case filed by Mayawati in the apex court for quashing of the DA case against her.
Seeking review of the July 6 judgement, the petitioner contended that the apex court had decided the case merely on technical grounds without appreciating the evidence collected by the CBI against Mayawati.
"The judgment under review belies the requirement of public policy that cases of corruption by public servants cannot be dealt with by courts with a technical approach. Rather, public policy required that even if there was some technical flaw in the investigation, the same could not have been given precedence over the overwhelming evidence collected by the CBI against Mayawati," the petition said.
"This court could not have simply let the accused go scot-free, thus, rendering, the evidence nothing more than bundles of waste paper," the petition said.
In a major relief to BSP supremo Mayawati, the Supreme Court had on July 6 quashed a nine-year-long disproportionate assets case against her and pulled up the CBI for exceeding its jurisdiction by lodging an FIR against her without any direction from it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre