Mayawati demands loan waiver for Bundelkhand
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati on Saturday requested the Centre to come out with a special scheme to waive off loans of over 15 lakh farmers in Bundelkhand region.
"The CM has written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh requesting a special waiver scheme for Bundelkhan region
and also include all the loans disbursed till March 31 in it,"
an official spokesman said here.
She said that though a loan waiver scheme was launched
by the Centre in 2008, it was insufficient for the Bundelkhand
where estimated loan of Rs 4500 crore was due on 15 lakh
In her letter Mayawati said that economy of Bundelkhand
region, which had rough demography, is largely based on
"Due to indifferent attitude of the previous governments
all round development of Bundelkhand did not take place
leading to the economic backwardness of the region," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight