Mayawati demands loan waiver for Bundelkhand
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati on Saturday requested the Centre to come out with a special scheme to waive off loans of over 15 lakh farmers in Bundelkhand region.
"The CM has written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh requesting a special waiver scheme for Bundelkhan region
and also include all the loans disbursed till March 31 in it,"
an official spokesman said here.
She said that though a loan waiver scheme was launched
by the Centre in 2008, it was insufficient for the Bundelkhand
where estimated loan of Rs 4500 crore was due on 15 lakh
In her letter Mayawati said that economy of Bundelkhand
region, which had rough demography, is largely based on
"Due to indifferent attitude of the previous governments
all round development of Bundelkhand did not take place
leading to the economic backwardness of the region," she said.
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Bangladesh's ICC ODI ranking: How BCB president Nazmul Hassan created unnecessary confusion
- Five people killed after building collapses in Mumbai's Kamathipura
- Sonia, Rahul Gandhi to lead Congress gherao of Parliament on May 6
- Kesha legal battle: Singer releases her single post clash!
- Sushmita Sen is Farah Khan's 'best heroine'!