Mayawati demands President`s Rule in UP
Lucknow: Former UP Chief Minister and BSP president Mayawati Monday asked Governor B L Joshi to take cognisance of the prevailing law and order situation in the state and recommend the imposition of President`s Rule.
"Under the prevailing dismal law and order situation and corruption I would request the Governor to himself take cognisance as per the constitutional provisions and recommend imposition of President`s rule in the state," Mayawati told newspersons here.
Referring to the scheduled visit of the President here tomorrow for the 125 year celebrations of the UP assembly, she said the Governor should place these facts before Pranab Mukherjee.
"Though I myself and my party MPs can also put these things before the President, but then there would be an attempt to brand them as guided by political vendetta to set them aside," Mayawati said.
Crime under the SP government has increased as compared to other states, she alleged, adding that those against women and girls have alerted the people.
Referring to the case of a Dalit girl in Noida, she said it was a recent example as to how the police allegedly tried to "hush up" the whole affair by attempting to cremate her late in the night but failed because of vigilant locals and the media.
"It is most unfortunate that SP government instead of controlling crime, it has been putting all its strength for hushing it up," she accused.
The state government was also making big announcements for diverting the people`s attention from issues, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls