Mayawati has failed to protect interests of Dalits: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Tuesday accused BSP supremo Mayawati of failing to protect the interests of Dalits, saying the 85th constitutional amendment for reservation in promotion was reversed by the Allahabad High Court in absence of proper advocacy when she was the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister.
"The Atal Bihari Vajpayee government had done 81st, 82nd and 85th constitutional amendments. The 85th amendment regarding reservation in promotion was reversed by the Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad High Court in the absence of proper advocacy. Mayawati was Chief Minister at that time. From the point of view of interest of SCs/STs how relevant is the existence of the party? That is the big question," Udit Raj, who recently joined BJP and a Special Invitee to the party`s National Executive, said.
He said in a very small span of time he had realised that BJP is not against Dalits and tribes, and there is huge scope for these people here to work for the society.
"There is a perception that BJP is anti-Dalits but it is a myth and not the reality," he said, adding that all underprivileged should join the party and elect Narendra Modi as the country`s next Prime Minister.
Raj, who is also the secretary General of National Dalit Front, said its president Ram Vilas Paswan and working president Ramdas Athawale were now with the BJP, and it hinted that a maximum number of SC, ST and other backwards will vote in favour of the party".
Raj said the Bahujan Samaj Party had emerged when the country`s economic situation was a matter of grave concern. At that time whatever experiments were done to tackle the situation were not sufficient to improve the status of SCs, STs and other backwards.
He said the new economic policy changed the economic world and as a result many new sectors like capital market, telecom, service sectors, market, construction, share market emerged which completely excluded SC, ST and OBCs.
"BSP was not able to stand against these policies and could not secure its participation in these sectors. Due to which the number of government jobs have been decreased," Raj said.
The Dalit leader said BJP has done important works to uplift SCs, STs and OBC, and added that the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government declared the birthplace and enlightenment place of BR Ambedkar at Mahu as a national monument.
The BJP has also set up a separate Schedule Tribe Development Ministry, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’