Mayawati hits back at Rahul Gandhi, calls Congress anti-Dalit
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati on Wednesday made a scathing attack on Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi a day after the latter accused the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister of usurping the Dalit movement in the country.
Addressing a press briefing in the state capital, Mayawati said that Congress is highly biased against Dalits and has done nothing to improve the situation of scheduled castes and the marginalised section of the society.
Attacking Congress further, the BSP chief said, "Congress has displayed its bias by not declaring a national condolence day on the death anniversary of BSP founder Kanshiram."
The scathing remarks from Maywati came a day after Gandhi blamed the BSP chief for blocking the rise of Dalit leaders in the country.
Congress vice president also said that there was an urgent need to uplift the Dalit community in India.
"In the second stage of the Dalit movement, the production of leaders stopped, Mayawati-ji has captured the leadership and she does not let people come up," Gandhi further said.
Gandhi said this while addressing a national awareness camp on Scheduled Caste empowerment here.
"Though it is her personal choice, it is a great time for Congress party who has a history of working for Dalits," he added.
The Congress vice president also said that the Congress party, in a systematic manner, will have Dalit leaders at the panchayat, legislative and even the policy level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation