Mayawati hits back at Rahul Gandhi, calls Congress anti-Dalit
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati on Wednesday made a scathing attack on Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi a day after the latter accused the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister of usurping the Dalit movement in the country.
Addressing a press briefing in the state capital, Mayawati said that Congress is highly biased against Dalits and has done nothing to improve the situation of scheduled castes and the marginalised section of the society.
Attacking Congress further, the BSP chief said, "Congress has displayed its bias by not declaring a national condolence day on the death anniversary of BSP founder Kanshiram."
The scathing remarks from Maywati came a day after Gandhi blamed the BSP chief for blocking the rise of Dalit leaders in the country.
Congress vice president also said that there was an urgent need to uplift the Dalit community in India.
"In the second stage of the Dalit movement, the production of leaders stopped, Mayawati-ji has captured the leadership and she does not let people come up," Gandhi further said.
Gandhi said this while addressing a national awareness camp on Scheduled Caste empowerment here.
"Though it is her personal choice, it is a great time for Congress party who has a history of working for Dalits," he added.
The Congress vice president also said that the Congress party, in a systematic manner, will have Dalit leaders at the panchayat, legislative and even the policy level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head