Mayawati seeks funds from the Centre for welfare schemes
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati on Saturday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to
immediately release the Centre`s share of funds for NREGA and
backward scholorship scheme saying delay in this was adding
to the financial burden of the state.
In two separate letters written to the Prime Minister,
she requested him to direct the Social Justice and Empowerment
Ministry to immediately release Rs 2074.32 crore of Centre`s
share to disburse scholorships among school students of the
backward castes besides the remaining Rs 2425 crore of its
share in the funds for the NREGA.
Recalling earlier communication to the Centre in this
regard, she asked for increasing the budget of the Social
Justice and Empowerment Ministry if it was not sufficient to
meet the demand.
Noting that the delay in providing Centre`s share
of these schemes was adding to the financial burden of the
state and adversly affecting other development schemes,
she said the state got only Rs 13.49 crore against its demand
for Rs 2087.81 crore for the scholarships and that too after
She also asked for immediate release of Rs 2425
crore of the NREGA scheme saying that the lack of fund was
hampering the process to provide employment in the rural
In another letter to the Prime Minister Mayawati
requested for approval of 60 proposals worth Rs 1,424 crore of
The chief minister requested the Prime Minister to
direct the Central Road Transport and National Highway
department to approve the proposals at the earliest.
She also requested for providing Rs 135.34 crore
against the utilisation certificate already given to the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India