Mayawati seeks reservation for upper caste poor
Lucknow: Barely a day after she raised demand for reservation for Muslims, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati on Sunday shot off another letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking reservation also for the poor among the upper castes.
While this was not the first time that she has raised the issue, this time Mayawati has gone a step further by demanding that such reservation be introduced in the private sector too.
The move comes just months ahead of the 2012 state assembly elections.
Seeking to draw Manmohan Singh`s attention to the central government`s "indifference" towards the issue, Mayawati in her letter wrote: "When I met you for the first time way back in July 2007 shortly after assuming office..., I had drawn your kind attention to the need for granting reservation to all such upper caste people who were living below the poverty line."
"It would be appropriate to entitle them to reservation through a suitable constitutional amendment," she added.
The chief minister was of the view that grant of reservation to upper caste poor was the "key to removing the social, economic and educational disparities, because of which they had remained a deprived lot so far".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review