Mayawati statue incident: Key accused sent to judi
Lucknow: A local court on Saturday remanded the main accused in the vandalisation of former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati`s statue in 14 days judicial custody.
Amit Jaani, the main accused and chief of little-known outfit UP Nav Nirman Sena, and his aides Rajendra Singh Chaudhary alias Ferrari and Qasim Chaudhary were produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajensh Upadhyaya, who remanded them in judicial custody till August 9.
The CJM also rejected the bail application of Qasim, the state president of UPNNS.
The trio, who were on the run after the incident on Thursday, were arrested by police and Special Task Force last night.
While Amit and Ferrari, were apprehended from Delhi-UP border, Qasim was arrested from Gomti Nagar area, IG (Lucknow) Asutosh Pandey said.
With this, the total number of arrests in the incident went up to six.
Three persons - organisers of a Sena conference Alok Srivastava, his son Arpit Srivastava and an executive of a PR agency Vishal Mishra - were arrested by police on Thursday itself, the day when the incident took place.
A marble statue of Mayawati was vandalised at Bhimrao Ambedkar Samajik Parivartan Stahl at Gomti Nagar area, triggering tension and protests by BSP activists across the state.
BSP alleged it was the handiwork of ruling Samajwadi Party workers.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav condemned the incident and claimed it was a planned conspiracy to vitiate the atmosphere in the state.
The local administration, on a directive of Akhilesh, had got the damaged statue replaced with a fresh one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read