Mayawati statue incident: Key accused sent to judi
Lucknow: A local court on Saturday remanded the main accused in the vandalisation of former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati`s statue in 14 days judicial custody.
Amit Jaani, the main accused and chief of little-known outfit UP Nav Nirman Sena, and his aides Rajendra Singh Chaudhary alias Ferrari and Qasim Chaudhary were produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajensh Upadhyaya, who remanded them in judicial custody till August 9.
The CJM also rejected the bail application of Qasim, the state president of UPNNS.
The trio, who were on the run after the incident on Thursday, were arrested by police and Special Task Force last night.
While Amit and Ferrari, were apprehended from Delhi-UP border, Qasim was arrested from Gomti Nagar area, IG (Lucknow) Asutosh Pandey said.
With this, the total number of arrests in the incident went up to six.
Three persons - organisers of a Sena conference Alok Srivastava, his son Arpit Srivastava and an executive of a PR agency Vishal Mishra - were arrested by police on Thursday itself, the day when the incident took place.
A marble statue of Mayawati was vandalised at Bhimrao Ambedkar Samajik Parivartan Stahl at Gomti Nagar area, triggering tension and protests by BSP activists across the state.
BSP alleged it was the handiwork of ruling Samajwadi Party workers.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav condemned the incident and claimed it was a planned conspiracy to vitiate the atmosphere in the state.
The local administration, on a directive of Akhilesh, had got the damaged statue replaced with a fresh one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO