Mayawati statue incident: Key accused sent to judi
Lucknow: A local court on Saturday remanded the main accused in the vandalisation of former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati`s statue in 14 days judicial custody.
Amit Jaani, the main accused and chief of little-known outfit UP Nav Nirman Sena, and his aides Rajendra Singh Chaudhary alias Ferrari and Qasim Chaudhary were produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajensh Upadhyaya, who remanded them in judicial custody till August 9.
The CJM also rejected the bail application of Qasim, the state president of UPNNS.
The trio, who were on the run after the incident on Thursday, were arrested by police and Special Task Force last night.
While Amit and Ferrari, were apprehended from Delhi-UP border, Qasim was arrested from Gomti Nagar area, IG (Lucknow) Asutosh Pandey said.
With this, the total number of arrests in the incident went up to six.
Three persons - organisers of a Sena conference Alok Srivastava, his son Arpit Srivastava and an executive of a PR agency Vishal Mishra - were arrested by police on Thursday itself, the day when the incident took place.
A marble statue of Mayawati was vandalised at Bhimrao Ambedkar Samajik Parivartan Stahl at Gomti Nagar area, triggering tension and protests by BSP activists across the state.
BSP alleged it was the handiwork of ruling Samajwadi Party workers.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav condemned the incident and claimed it was a planned conspiracy to vitiate the atmosphere in the state.
The local administration, on a directive of Akhilesh, had got the damaged statue replaced with a fresh one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule