Mayawati statue incident: Key accused sent to judi
Lucknow: A local court on Saturday remanded the main accused in the vandalisation of former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati`s statue in 14 days judicial custody.
Amit Jaani, the main accused and chief of little-known outfit UP Nav Nirman Sena, and his aides Rajendra Singh Chaudhary alias Ferrari and Qasim Chaudhary were produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajensh Upadhyaya, who remanded them in judicial custody till August 9.
The CJM also rejected the bail application of Qasim, the state president of UPNNS.
The trio, who were on the run after the incident on Thursday, were arrested by police and Special Task Force last night.
While Amit and Ferrari, were apprehended from Delhi-UP border, Qasim was arrested from Gomti Nagar area, IG (Lucknow) Asutosh Pandey said.
With this, the total number of arrests in the incident went up to six.
Three persons - organisers of a Sena conference Alok Srivastava, his son Arpit Srivastava and an executive of a PR agency Vishal Mishra - were arrested by police on Thursday itself, the day when the incident took place.
A marble statue of Mayawati was vandalised at Bhimrao Ambedkar Samajik Parivartan Stahl at Gomti Nagar area, triggering tension and protests by BSP activists across the state.
BSP alleged it was the handiwork of ruling Samajwadi Party workers.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav condemned the incident and claimed it was a planned conspiracy to vitiate the atmosphere in the state.
The local administration, on a directive of Akhilesh, had got the damaged statue replaced with a fresh one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Virender Sehwag fulfills Sakshi Malik's desire to meet him; this tweet tells how GLAD he is
- Asked to remove pugree at US embassy, BJP MP refuses to take visa
- Pink Ball Test: Jury still out on sighting, no reverse swing for pacers or turn for spinners
- RCom-Aircel expected to sign merger deal by Sept 1st week
- Mehbooba flies to Delhi as one more killed in Kashmir violence; toll rises to 70