Mayawati statue vandalisation case: 3 more held
Lucknow: Three more persons, including the main accused, were arrested on Friday in connection with the vandalisation of the statue of former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati.
National president of a little-known outfit Uttar Pradesh Nava Nirman Sena Amit Jaani and his aide Rajendra Singh Chaudhary, alias Ferrari, were apprehended from Delhi-UP border by UP Special Task Force while the group`s state president Qasim Chaudhary was arrested from Gomti Nagar area, IG (Lucknow) Asutosh Pandey told PTI.
Qasim was involved in the incident and his picture with helmet was taken, Pandey said.
With this, the total number of arrests in connection with the incident went up to six.
Three persons, including organisers of a Sena conference Alok Srivastava, his son Arpit Srivastava and an executive of a PR agency Vishal Mishra were arrested by police yesterday.
Inspector General of Police B P Singh said all the three persons arrested yesterday were booked on the charge of conspiracy and produced in the court from where they were remanded to 14-day judicial custody.
A marble statue of Mayawati was vandalised at Bhimrao Ambedkar Samajik Parivartan Stahl at Gomti Nagar area yesterday, triggering tension and protests by BSP activists across the state.
BSP alleged it was the handiwork of ruling Samajwadi Party workers. Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav condemned the incident and claimed it was a planned conspiracy to vitiate the atmosphere in the state.
The local administration, on a directive of Akhilesh, got the damaged statue replaced with a fresh one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'