Mayawati to confine birthday bash to party office
Lucknow: Keeping in mind the model code of conduct in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh, the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) will host the birthday bash of Chief Minister Mayawati Jan 15, when she turns 56, at the state party headquarters here, an official said.
Unlike in the past, when the birthday bash was hosted by the state government which she heads, this time it will be a party affair. "Behenji`s birthday celebration is being hosted by the party and it is certainly not a violation of the election model code of conduct," claimed state BSP president Swami Prasad Maurya.
According to him, Mayawati would also release the seventh volume of her autobiography with the latest account of her achievements.
While Maurya feigned ignorance about it, sources in the BSP indicated that Mayawati was also likely to release her election manifesto on the occasion.
Maurya, however, claimed, "It is unlikely since the birthday function would not be mixed with the election, otherwise the election commission might link it to poll expenses."
All major party functionaries are expected to attend the function, but government officials have been told to keep away.
Mayawati`s birthday celebrations were usually associated with fund collection drives. Three years ago, an executive engineer of the state public works department was attacked and killed by a BSP MLA in Auraiya district because the young man refused to shell out money demanded by the MLA for `Behenji`s birthday`. The MLA eventually landed in jail.
- AgustaWestland row: Fossils of Congress' scams will be excavated years later, says Giriraj Singh
- Sitapur district authorities start demolition of Rampal Yadav-owned hotel-cum-multiplex
- MUST WATCH: Disgruntled employee tears down an aeroplane!
- Centre releases 25 more files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose
- Indian Premier League, Match 26: Delhi Daredevils vs Kolkata Knight Riders - Preview