Mayawati wants jail terms for suspended SP MLAs
New Delhi: In the wake of the suspension of three SP MLAs, including the legislator who was arrested from a Goa dance bar, BSP chief Mayawati on Thursday said stricter action should have been taken against them.
"Suspension is no punishment. For the wrong deeds of these MLAs, they should be sent to jail," she said.
The party is also completely silent on the issue of its MLA arrested from a Goa dance bar, she told reporters here.
Mayawati said the law and order is poor in Uttar Pradesh as many of the SP MLAs have a criminal background.
"Either they (SP MLAs) are very corrupt or have a criminal background...Their character too has not been very good," she said.
The SP had suspended its three MLAs on Wednesday. Among them is Mahendra Singh, UP MLA from Sevta in Sitapur district, who had been held in a Goa dance bar after a police raid and was booked under Anti-Prostitution Act.
The other two suspended MLAs are Radhey Shyam Jaiswal (Sitapur) and Ramlal Akela (Bachrawah-Raebareli). The action was taken against them for their involvement in "anti-party activities".
Jaiswal`s son Shailendra and Akela`s son Vikrant had also been expelled from the party.
While Shailendra`s name cropped up in the firing incident in Sitapur for alleged land grabbing on Tuesday, Vikrant had allegedly got a house bulldozed in Raebareli to grab a piece of land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next