Mayawati wants jail terms for suspended SP MLAs
New Delhi: In the wake of the suspension of three SP MLAs, including the legislator who was arrested from a Goa dance bar, BSP chief Mayawati on Thursday said stricter action should have been taken against them.
"Suspension is no punishment. For the wrong deeds of these MLAs, they should be sent to jail," she said.
The party is also completely silent on the issue of its MLA arrested from a Goa dance bar, she told reporters here.
Mayawati said the law and order is poor in Uttar Pradesh as many of the SP MLAs have a criminal background.
"Either they (SP MLAs) are very corrupt or have a criminal background...Their character too has not been very good," she said.
The SP had suspended its three MLAs on Wednesday. Among them is Mahendra Singh, UP MLA from Sevta in Sitapur district, who had been held in a Goa dance bar after a police raid and was booked under Anti-Prostitution Act.
The other two suspended MLAs are Radhey Shyam Jaiswal (Sitapur) and Ramlal Akela (Bachrawah-Raebareli). The action was taken against them for their involvement in "anti-party activities".
Jaiswal`s son Shailendra and Akela`s son Vikrant had also been expelled from the party.
While Shailendra`s name cropped up in the firing incident in Sitapur for alleged land grabbing on Tuesday, Vikrant had allegedly got a house bulldozed in Raebareli to grab a piece of land.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata