Mayawati wants jail terms for suspended SP MLAs
New Delhi: In the wake of the suspension of three SP MLAs, including the legislator who was arrested from a Goa dance bar, BSP chief Mayawati on Thursday said stricter action should have been taken against them.
"Suspension is no punishment. For the wrong deeds of these MLAs, they should be sent to jail," she said.
The party is also completely silent on the issue of its MLA arrested from a Goa dance bar, she told reporters here.
Mayawati said the law and order is poor in Uttar Pradesh as many of the SP MLAs have a criminal background.
"Either they (SP MLAs) are very corrupt or have a criminal background...Their character too has not been very good," she said.
The SP had suspended its three MLAs on Wednesday. Among them is Mahendra Singh, UP MLA from Sevta in Sitapur district, who had been held in a Goa dance bar after a police raid and was booked under Anti-Prostitution Act.
The other two suspended MLAs are Radhey Shyam Jaiswal (Sitapur) and Ramlal Akela (Bachrawah-Raebareli). The action was taken against them for their involvement in "anti-party activities".
Jaiswal`s son Shailendra and Akela`s son Vikrant had also been expelled from the party.
While Shailendra`s name cropped up in the firing incident in Sitapur for alleged land grabbing on Tuesday, Vikrant had allegedly got a house bulldozed in Raebareli to grab a piece of land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan