Mayawati wants jail terms for suspended SP MLAs
New Delhi: In the wake of the suspension of three SP MLAs, including the legislator who was arrested from a Goa dance bar, BSP chief Mayawati on Thursday said stricter action should have been taken against them.
"Suspension is no punishment. For the wrong deeds of these MLAs, they should be sent to jail," she said.
The party is also completely silent on the issue of its MLA arrested from a Goa dance bar, she told reporters here.
Mayawati said the law and order is poor in Uttar Pradesh as many of the SP MLAs have a criminal background.
"Either they (SP MLAs) are very corrupt or have a criminal background...Their character too has not been very good," she said.
The SP had suspended its three MLAs on Wednesday. Among them is Mahendra Singh, UP MLA from Sevta in Sitapur district, who had been held in a Goa dance bar after a police raid and was booked under Anti-Prostitution Act.
The other two suspended MLAs are Radhey Shyam Jaiswal (Sitapur) and Ramlal Akela (Bachrawah-Raebareli). The action was taken against them for their involvement in "anti-party activities".
Jaiswal`s son Shailendra and Akela`s son Vikrant had also been expelled from the party.
While Shailendra`s name cropped up in the firing incident in Sitapur for alleged land grabbing on Tuesday, Vikrant had allegedly got a house bulldozed in Raebareli to grab a piece of land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?