Mayawati wants jail terms for suspended SP MLAs
New Delhi: In the wake of the suspension of three SP MLAs, including the legislator who was arrested from a Goa dance bar, BSP chief Mayawati on Thursday said stricter action should have been taken against them.
"Suspension is no punishment. For the wrong deeds of these MLAs, they should be sent to jail," she said.
The party is also completely silent on the issue of its MLA arrested from a Goa dance bar, she told reporters here.
Mayawati said the law and order is poor in Uttar Pradesh as many of the SP MLAs have a criminal background.
"Either they (SP MLAs) are very corrupt or have a criminal background...Their character too has not been very good," she said.
The SP had suspended its three MLAs on Wednesday. Among them is Mahendra Singh, UP MLA from Sevta in Sitapur district, who had been held in a Goa dance bar after a police raid and was booked under Anti-Prostitution Act.
The other two suspended MLAs are Radhey Shyam Jaiswal (Sitapur) and Ramlal Akela (Bachrawah-Raebareli). The action was taken against them for their involvement in "anti-party activities".
Jaiswal`s son Shailendra and Akela`s son Vikrant had also been expelled from the party.
While Shailendra`s name cropped up in the firing incident in Sitapur for alleged land grabbing on Tuesday, Vikrant had allegedly got a house bulldozed in Raebareli to grab a piece of land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi