Mayawati`s purse searched in Karnataka, Rs one lakh found
Gulbarga: A "flying squad" of Election Commission on Saturday subjected Mayawati to checking for a second time in quick succession, following which an angry BSP supremo hit out at the poll watchdog, playing the Dalit card.
As soon as Mayawati, who is here for campaigning for the May 5 assembly poll, landed by helicopter at a helipad on the outskirts of the taluk headquarters town of Jewargi in this district, the flying squad carried out an inspection in the chopper.
They found Rs one lakh in cash from her bag, which was not seized after she explained that it belonged to her supporters who accompanied her in the helicopter and that each person is "entitled" to carry Rs 50,000.
Thereafter, as she was climbing the dais put up for her party`s public meeting in Jewargi, the flying squad again searched Mayawati and her car, an action that infuriated the former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister.
"Have you checked Sonia Gandhi (Congress President) and Sushma Swaraj (BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha) when they came for campaigning? You are searching me because I am a Dalit woman?", she said.
Gulbarga Deputy Commissioner K J Jagadish told a news agency that the flying squad recorded the search and he would send a report to the Election Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Eurozone business activity strong despite Brexit: Survey
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic