Mayawati`s statue vandalised, 3 held
Lucknow: In a disturbing development that lead to trouble in Uttar Pradesh, unidentified men vandalised a statue of former chief minister and BSP chief Mayawati in Lucknow on Thursday.
The statue was located in the famous Ambedkar Park in Gomti Nagar.
Police sources said the incident took place at around 1.40 pm when yet to be identified six men on bikes came to the park with hammers and damaged the white marble statue of Mayawati.
TV visuals showed the statue’s head and hands lying on the ground.
Police officials said they are investigating the matter and trying to find out the lapses.
Police said they will speak to guards manning the park to find out the guilty.
Assuring an in-depth probe, police said they will take strict action against the guilty.
As per reports, BSP leaders are discussing the matter with the party chief to chart out the future course of action.
BSP leader Vijay Bahadur Singh demanded an inquiry into the incident and action against the guilty.
He said the incident may have far reaching consequences.
Senior BSP leader Swami Prasad Maurya questioned the Samajwadi Party’s role in the incident and demanded the government replace the damaged statue with a new one.
Meanwhile, three persons have been detained, police said. The incident led to protests by BSP workers at a number of places in the state, including Jhansi, Ambedkar Nagar, Deoria, Muzaffarnagar and Kanpur.
A little known political outfit Uttar Pradesh Nav Nirman Sena claimed responsibility for the incident, saying it was their way of expressing their anger over scams which took place under the Mayawati regime.
"The incident occurred around 1 PM. The manner in which photographers were present at the spot smells of a conspiracy," Director General of Police Ambrish Chandra Sharma told reporters here.
He said that three persons, including organisers of the press conference of Sena have been detained and interrogated.
"Three persons, including Alok Srivastava, his son Arpit Srivastava and an executive of a PR agency, Vishal Mishra, have been taken into custody," Sharma said, adding that an FIR has been lodged.
He said that information has been received regarding the organisation and it`s office-bearers and they would be arrested soon.
"Sena`s state president Amit Jaani hails from Meerut and has seven criminal cases against him, including two attempt to murder cases," he said.
The DGP said that an inquiry was also being conducted into intelligence failure.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa