MGNREGS irregularities: Maya hits back at Ramesh
Lucknow: In the wake of a fresh letter from Jairam Ramesh accusing Mayawati of protecting corrupt official involved in MGNREGS irregularities, the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister on Saturday hit back at the Union Rural Development Minister and asked if there was no corruption in other states.
Reading out Mayawati’s letter at a press conference, state Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar said the Centre only had described Uttar Pradesh as the best performing state in the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) for the past three to four years.
The Chief Minister wants to know from the Central government what happened suddenly that the state is being attacked on MNREGA issue, Shekhar said.
On Ramesh’s charge that Mayawati was protecting those involved in alleged irregularities in implementation of MNREGA in some districts, the CM said action had been taken against many corrupt officials in several districts.
“The allegations being levelled are baseless and misleading,” Mayawati said in her response.
In his letter, Ramesh had urged Mayawati to accept his suggestion for a CBI probe into the irregularities.
Ramesh had said that despite probes pointing to large-scale misuse of funds, the state government had neither acted against erring officials nor taken effective steps to recover the misused money.
Ramesh’s letter was written on November 14, the day Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi launched party`s poll campaign in Uttar Pradesh and targeted Mayawati for corruption in the state.
Citing his earlier letter of October 24 and Mayawati`s response to it, Ramesh said his ministry has been repeatedly urging the state government for action in connection with the irregularities.
The minister cited instances of alleged irregularities and corruption in the implementation of MGNREGS in Balrampur, Gonda, Mahoba, Sonbhadra, Kushinagar, Mirzapur and Sant Kabir Nagar districts.
In response to Ramesh`s first letter, Mayawati had last month written to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh accusing the minister of a "preconceived agenda".
Meanwhile, commenting on the Centre’s proposed financial package for crisis-ridden handloom weavers in Uttar Pradesh, Mayawati asked if the same was an “election stunt”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly