Minor fire in Shatabdi Express
Lucknow: Hundreds of passengers on board the Shatabdi Express had a close shave Thursday evening in Uttar Pradesh after a minor fire broke out under a coach, leading to panic.
According to officials, the fire was immediately contained after smoke was noticed by passengers. The New Delhi-bound train was halted using emergency brakes.
The fire was blamed on "brake-lock jamming".
Anil Kumar Saxena, the additional director general in the railway ministry, told IANS here that the train had been stopped at Ekdil railway station, on the outskirts of Etawah.
"All passengers are safe and there have been no injuries," the official said.
But reports from the scene of the incident said some panic stricken passengers of the C-10 coach jumped out of the train.
The Shatabdi Express runs daily between Lucknow and New Delhi. It has German-made coaches, and it has stoppages at Kanpur, Etawah, Aligarh and Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth