Minor fire in Shatabdi Express
Lucknow: Hundreds of passengers on board the Shatabdi Express had a close shave Thursday evening in Uttar Pradesh after a minor fire broke out under a coach, leading to panic.
According to officials, the fire was immediately contained after smoke was noticed by passengers. The New Delhi-bound train was halted using emergency brakes.
The fire was blamed on "brake-lock jamming".
Anil Kumar Saxena, the additional director general in the railway ministry, told IANS here that the train had been stopped at Ekdil railway station, on the outskirts of Etawah.
"All passengers are safe and there have been no injuries," the official said.
But reports from the scene of the incident said some panic stricken passengers of the C-10 coach jumped out of the train.
The Shatabdi Express runs daily between Lucknow and New Delhi. It has German-made coaches, and it has stoppages at Kanpur, Etawah, Aligarh and Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre