Minor fire in Shatabdi Express
Lucknow: Hundreds of passengers on board the Shatabdi Express had a close shave Thursday evening in Uttar Pradesh after a minor fire broke out under a coach, leading to panic.
According to officials, the fire was immediately contained after smoke was noticed by passengers. The New Delhi-bound train was halted using emergency brakes.
The fire was blamed on "brake-lock jamming".
Anil Kumar Saxena, the additional director general in the railway ministry, told IANS here that the train had been stopped at Ekdil railway station, on the outskirts of Etawah.
"All passengers are safe and there have been no injuries," the official said.
But reports from the scene of the incident said some panic stricken passengers of the C-10 coach jumped out of the train.
The Shatabdi Express runs daily between Lucknow and New Delhi. It has German-made coaches, and it has stoppages at Kanpur, Etawah, Aligarh and Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry