Minor girl`s rape confirmed, SSP`s remark creates furore
Aligarh: The post mortem report of the six-year-old girl found dead here has confirmed rape, even as the controversial remarks of city SSP on the incident created furore.
"The probe into the matter is on... The postmortem report has confirmed that the girl was sexually assaulted. The insensitive remark of SSP Aligarh, Amit Pathak will also be under purview of my inquiry", DIG Prakash D told reporters here today.
Pathak had yesterday triggered a controversy by saying "How can you or we decide this (if the girl was raped)?... Did her relatives see her being raped? What I mean to say is we will come to know everything on the basis of a medical report."
ADG Law and order, Uttar Pradesh, Arun Kumar said, "What the SSP basically meant was that there was no eye-witness of the case... The words came like that which absolutely unfortunate and shouldn`t have come from a senior officer like the SSP. He has regretted his words and we have asked the DIG to look into the matter."
The DIG, who has been directed to submit his inquiry report on the police`s use of force on women protesters within three days, said that after the incident cops have been directed to be careful while commenting on such sensitive issue.
The minor girl went missing on April 17 and later her body was recovered at a garbage dump in Nagla Kalar area in Aligarh, police said, as the crime sparked violent protests by locals prompting police to use force.
The victim`s family alleged that she was strangled to death after being sexually abused, they said.
Yesterday, TV footage showed the officer rushing towards the unarmed elderly woman and pushing her down using his baton during a lathicharge to quell protests.
Later, taking note of the incident Chief minister Akhilesh Yadav suspended Circle Officer (Civil Lines) AK Singh, who allegedly knocked down an unidentified elderly woman and two other policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill