Minor raped, hanged in UP police station
Lakhimpur Kheri: As many as 11 policemen, including a police inspector, were suspended here on Saturday after the body of a teenaged girl was found in the compound of a police station in Uttar Pradesh, a senior official said.
The body of the girl was found hanging from a tree in the premises of the Nighaasan police station in Lakhimpur Kheri district Friday night.
The girl`s family alleged that she was raped, killed and her body was hanged from a tree to make it look like a suicide.
"Recovery of the body from the premises of the police station is a very serious matter. While I have asked the district administration to initiate a magisterial inquiry into the matter, I immediately suspended 11 policemen for dereliction of duty," Superintendent of Police D.K. Rai told a news agency over telephone.
"As per the record, the policemen placed under suspension were present inside the police station. Moreover, without following procedural norms, they allowed the girl`s mother to take away her body. As of now, we cannot tell whether it`s a case of suicide or murder. We are awaiting the autopsy report," he added.
According to police, the teenager along with her family used to live near a building coming up inside the premises of the police station.
"The victim and her family were given a place to live by the contractor looking after the construction work," said Rai.
The girl Friday morning had taken her cattle for grazing. After she did not return after several hours, her mother started looking for her and found her daughter hanging from the tree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list