Minority quota proposed to shift focus: BJP
Kanpur: The political row over sub-quota for backward Muslims escalated on Friday with BJP alleging that the reservation promise was aimed at diverting focus from corruption and other problems.
"The Congress party, in order to divert focus from
corruption and other real issues, has proposed a special quota
for Muslims, which in turn will escalate the communal tension
in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh," BJP National Vice President
Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters here.
Naqvi said efforts should be made to eliminate
backwardness of the Muslim community on social, economic
and educational fronts.
The UPA government`s decision to provide 4.5 per cent
reservation for minorities within the existing 27 per cent OBC
quota has drawn flak from Opposition parties which strongly
criticised the move as a means to secure minority votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation