Minority sub-quota intensifies race among parties
New Delhi: The controversial issue of OBC
sub-quota for minorities has intensified the race among
political parties to woo the crucial Muslim vote in poll-bound
Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav has used the
issue to target the Congress by claiming that the sub-quota is
meant for minorities and not Muslims alone and was akin to
In a letter to Shahi Imam of Delhi`s Jama Masjid Syed
Ahmed Bukhari, Yadav said the UPA-led central government has
cheated Muslims by setting up the Sachar Committee and
Ranganath Mishra Commission but not implementing its
"...I want to assure you that our party will, and has
been, fighting on the issue with sincerity," he said.
Yadav`s letter is in response to a note sent by the Shahi
Imam to the SP chief in which he had suggested means to "once
again win back" the support of Muslims in the Assembly
"You know the reason behind Muslims` angst towards SP in
the last Lok Sabha polls...," Bukhari had written to Yadav
"I have firm views on granting Muslims reservation in
education and employment. Based on the reservation provided to
them in Kerala and Andhra Pradesh, I will try to give them
reservation to the extent nobody has provided so far as soon
as my party comes to power," Yadav said.
He said he would consult legal experts, intellectuals and
social organisations to provide reservation to Muslims.
Out of the five poll-bound states, Muslim population is
the maximum in Uttar Pradesh (around 18 per cent).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened