Minor`s rape, murder: UP doctors may face action
Lucknow: While two of the three policemen accused of a 14-year-old girl`s alleged rape and murder are on the run, the Uttar Pradesh government planned to book three doctors who conducted the autopsy for destruction of evidence, an official said on Thursday.
The girl was allegedly raped and murdered on June 10 in the premises of Nighasan police station in Lakhimpur-Kheri district, about 170 km from here.
An official, declining to be named, said that a first information report (FIR) may be lodged against the three doctors who conducted the first post-mortem examination of the girls and certified that the death was due to "asphyxia", thereby leaving enough scope for police to dismiss it as a case of suicide.
It was the second autopsy carried out by another team of doctors from Lucknow that confirmed "strangulation" as the cause of victim`s death, suggesting murder.
The proposed action against the doctors may strengthen the government`s plea before the Allahabad High Court, where a hearing on a petition seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the case would come up Friday, the official said.
While issuing notice to the government on Wednesday, the court told it to furnish details of action taken in the case.
A top police official of the state said: “It was quite apparent that the doctors associated with the first post-mortem had not done an honest job...their report was influenced by extraneous factors and therefore was untrustworthy."
"We, therefore, cannot allow them to go scot free," he said.
In a related development, the girl`s parents submitted a fresh memorandum to the local sub-divisional magistrate (SDM), reiterating their demand for a CBI probe into the crime.
This followed the refusal of the local administration to take cognisance of an earlier memorandum that was addressed to Lakhimpur-Kheri MP Zafar Ali Naqvi, who forwarded it with a covering note to the district magistrate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan