Minor`s rape, murder: UP doctors may face action
Lucknow: While two of the three policemen accused of a 14-year-old girl`s alleged rape and murder are on the run, the Uttar Pradesh government planned to book three doctors who conducted the autopsy for destruction of evidence, an official said on Thursday.
The girl was allegedly raped and murdered on June 10 in the premises of Nighasan police station in Lakhimpur-Kheri district, about 170 km from here.
An official, declining to be named, said that a first information report (FIR) may be lodged against the three doctors who conducted the first post-mortem examination of the girls and certified that the death was due to "asphyxia", thereby leaving enough scope for police to dismiss it as a case of suicide.
It was the second autopsy carried out by another team of doctors from Lucknow that confirmed "strangulation" as the cause of victim`s death, suggesting murder.
The proposed action against the doctors may strengthen the government`s plea before the Allahabad High Court, where a hearing on a petition seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the case would come up Friday, the official said.
While issuing notice to the government on Wednesday, the court told it to furnish details of action taken in the case.
A top police official of the state said: “It was quite apparent that the doctors associated with the first post-mortem had not done an honest job...their report was influenced by extraneous factors and therefore was untrustworthy."
"We, therefore, cannot allow them to go scot free," he said.
In a related development, the girl`s parents submitted a fresh memorandum to the local sub-divisional magistrate (SDM), reiterating their demand for a CBI probe into the crime.
This followed the refusal of the local administration to take cognisance of an earlier memorandum that was addressed to Lakhimpur-Kheri MP Zafar Ali Naqvi, who forwarded it with a covering note to the district magistrate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him