Missing children: NHRC notice to UP Govt
New Delhi: Taking serious note of reports of 90 children going missing from Ghaziabad in the last six months, the National Human Rights Commission has issued notice to the Uttar Pradesh government and sought a detailed report on the issue.
"Taking suo motu cognisance, the NHRC has issued notices to the Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary and the District Magistrate of Ghaziabad and asked them to submit reports in four weeks on allegations that at least 90 children have gone missing in Ghaziabad from January 1 to July 1 this year," a statement from NHRC said.
The Commission said that last year, about 251 children had allegedly gone missing from the district and out of them, 115 children have not been traced so far.
"There may be several other instances in Ghaziabad where the police might not have registered the missing report in respect of the missing children," the Commission said, adding the allegations, if true, raise serious issue of violation of human rights of children.
The right`s body has also asked the UP Chief Secretary and Ghaziabad Deputy Magistrate to inform it whether the "guidelines on missing children" by the Commission were being strictly followed to tackle the problem of missing children in the state and in particular in Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray