Mob goes on rampage, burns houses, shops
Muzaffarnagar: A group of people returning from a cremation on Wednesday attacked and damaged one dozen houses and shops belonging to members of a particular community at Kawal village, police said.
Several persons were also injured in the disturbance which followed on the heels of a clash in the area yesterday in which three persons were killed.
Police had to step in to disperse the mob and bring the situation under control with the area now having been sealed off as a precautionary measure.
Meanwhile, DGP (law and order) Arun Kumar visited the violence-hit Kawal village and appealed to the people to maintain peace and harmony.
New district magistrate Koshal Raj Sharma and SSP Subhash Chand Dubey had accompanied the DGP to Muzaffarnagar.
Three persons were killed yesterday over a minor dispute which broke out when two motorbikes collided with each other in the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites