Mob goes on rampage, burns houses, shops
Muzaffarnagar: A group of people returning from a cremation on Wednesday attacked and damaged one dozen houses and shops belonging to members of a particular community at Kawal village, police said.
Several persons were also injured in the disturbance which followed on the heels of a clash in the area yesterday in which three persons were killed.
Police had to step in to disperse the mob and bring the situation under control with the area now having been sealed off as a precautionary measure.
Meanwhile, DGP (law and order) Arun Kumar visited the violence-hit Kawal village and appealed to the people to maintain peace and harmony.
New district magistrate Koshal Raj Sharma and SSP Subhash Chand Dubey had accompanied the DGP to Muzaffarnagar.
Three persons were killed yesterday over a minor dispute which broke out when two motorbikes collided with each other in the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery