Monica Dagar murder case: Delhi HC allows lie-detector test
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday
allowed the police to conduct a lie-detector test on the
family members of Sahibabad girl Monika Dagar, who was
allegedly killed for honour for marrying against the wishes of
A bench headed by Justices S K Kaul and Ajit Bharihoke
said the CBI should take expeditious steps to conduct the test
as pleaded by the Uttar Pradesh Police.
The court, however, turned down the plea of
narco-analysis test, which was sought by her husband Gaurav
Saini`s counsel and said it is monitoring the case and a
decision will be taken at an appropriate time.
The UP police informed the court that it had arrested
Monica`s brother Nitin on December 19 last and investigation
in the case is going on.
The bench had on November 17 last year sought response
of UP police and Home Secretary as to why the charge of murder
was not framed against the girl`s family member as the case
prima facie seemed be that of honour killing.
Earlier, the Sahibabad Police had registered a
kidnapping case in the matter on a complaint by Monika`s
brother. In the complaint, Dagar’s brother alleged his sister
was taken to an undisclosed place by Delhi-resident Saini and
his friends after abducting her.
The UP police had later recovered the girl from
Saini`s house in the national capital. After getting her
medically examined and recording her statement before a
magistrate, the police had handed over Monika to her mother
and brother despite the fact that she was a major.
Saini moved the High Court after being granted bail.
On his petition, the Court had asked the Sahibabad Police to
produce the girl.
However, on the very next day of the issuance of the
court direction, the girl died and was cremated the following
day without being examined by any doctor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday