Monsoon fury: Seven UP rivers in spate
Lucknow: Seven rivers in Uttar Pradesh are in spate as rains continued in most parts of the state.
The Burrhi Rapti river in Kakrahi, Sharda river in Palia Kalan, Ghaghra river in Elgin Bridge, Ayodhya and Turtipar, Rapti river in Balrampur were flowing above the danger mark while the Ganga river was flowing at the danger mark in Varanasi, the Central Water Commission said.
UP`s Irrigation Minister Shivpal Yadav, who did an aerial survey of the flooded areas Tuesday, blamed neighbouring Nepal for the floods.
He blamed the release of water into Burrhi Rapti, Baan Ganga Kurra and Ghonghi rivers by Nepal for inundating Naugarh, Bansi, Shohratgarh and Itwa areas.
Most `ghats` (river banks) in Varanasi were flooded Tuesday and with incessant rains in the evening, district officials said the water level was likely to rise further.
Met officials have predicted more rains in the state Wednesday, especially in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
The government said the Ghagra was flowing at 93.14 metres in Faizabad and 106.26 metres in Barabanki which was way above the danger mark.
Rapti is also flowing above the danger mark in Balrampur while the Ganga is above the danger mark in Narora in Bulandshahr.
Many villages in Kushinagar and Gorakhpur have been inundated and the administration has evacuated villagers to safer places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days