Moradabad peaceful, curfew relaxed
Lucknow: Friday prayers passed off
peacefully in curfew-bound Moradabad town, where communal
tension had flared up following arson by devotees of Lord
Shiva, with the district administration giving three to seven
hours relaxation on Friday.
"Seven hours of curfew relaxation was given in Mugalpur,
Kotwali, Nagphani and Majhaula police station areas from 10.00
hours while three-and-half-hour relief was given in Katghar,
Gal Shaheed and Jayantipur area under Majhaula police station
areas from 11.30 horurs and it passed off peacefully`, Special
DG Brij Lal told newspersons here.
Friday prayers passed off peacefully and there was no
report of any untoward incident from anywhere, he said adding
that keeping in mind the prevailing peaceful situation the
curfew relaxation period would be increased from tomorrow.
Night curfew would, however, continue, Brij Lal said.
Curfew was imposed in six police station areas of
Moradabad on August 9 last as communal tension erupted in the
wake of an incident of `kanwarias` (devotees of Lord) Shiva
allegedly setting afire some vehicles and pelting stones at a
factory unit where people were offering prayers.
The `kanwarias` were apparently angry at a change in
their procession route being changed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Schools, colleges shut in rain-hit Karnataka district
- NT Awards 2016: Zee News wins five awards in various categories
- AAP advertising budget less than money spent on PM Modi's clothes: Arvind Kejriwal
- ''Disappointment'' over Pay Commission due to Centre's inability to rein in inflation: JD (U)
- Want to live longer? Restrict your calorie intake!