Moradabad peaceful, curfew relaxed
Lucknow: Friday prayers passed off
peacefully in curfew-bound Moradabad town, where communal
tension had flared up following arson by devotees of Lord
Shiva, with the district administration giving three to seven
hours relaxation on Friday.
"Seven hours of curfew relaxation was given in Mugalpur,
Kotwali, Nagphani and Majhaula police station areas from 10.00
hours while three-and-half-hour relief was given in Katghar,
Gal Shaheed and Jayantipur area under Majhaula police station
areas from 11.30 horurs and it passed off peacefully`, Special
DG Brij Lal told newspersons here.
Friday prayers passed off peacefully and there was no
report of any untoward incident from anywhere, he said adding
that keeping in mind the prevailing peaceful situation the
curfew relaxation period would be increased from tomorrow.
Night curfew would, however, continue, Brij Lal said.
Curfew was imposed in six police station areas of
Moradabad on August 9 last as communal tension erupted in the
wake of an incident of `kanwarias` (devotees of Lord) Shiva
allegedly setting afire some vehicles and pelting stones at a
factory unit where people were offering prayers.
The `kanwarias` were apparently angry at a change in
their procession route being changed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest