Moradabad police chief removed ahead of by-poll on EC order
New Delhi: The Election Commission has removed Moradabad SSP Dharambir Yadav in the wake of certain complaints against him by BJP in the poll-bound district.
"The SSP Moradabad has been removed after complaints against him and 2004-batch IPS officer Love Kumar has been appointed the new SSP of the district," an EC official said.
While the state government will make the new posting for Yadav on his transfer, Love Kumar prior to being appointed the new SSP was ADC to Uttar Pradesh Governor.
Sources said the BJP had complained to the EC against the SSP, accusing him of working as a ruling Samajwadi Party "agent" ahead of the September 13 Assembly by-polls in the state.
"State BJP President Laxmi Kant Bajpai had sent a letter to the CEC to remove SSP Moradabad Dharamveer Yadav during bye-election for Thakurdwara seat," BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
He said that in his letter Bajpai accused the SSP of working as "an agent of ruling SP".
The sensitive Moradabad district had witnessed communal clashes last year that left over 60 people dead and a large number of families homeless.
Tension once again prevails in the district ahead of the elections.
BJP has also accused the SSP of sparking a controversy by accusing BJP of igniting tension in the area for political mileage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof