More dreams crumble in Noida Extension
Lucknow: In yet another blow to private builders, property buyers and the Greater Noida Industrial Development Authority (GNIDA), the Allahabad High Court on Tuesday nullified acquisition of nearly 600 hectares of land in two villages of the popular Noida Extension. The judgment is a big jolt to the Mayawati govt.
Providing relief to farmers while dealing with a batch of their petitions -- a division bench comprising of Justice Sunil Ambawani and Justice SS Tiwari -- declared the acquisition of 589.13 hectares of land in Patwari village Dewla villages as null and void.
The order, which follows the one on the neighbouring Shahberi village, could affect several housing projects in the area. Builders like Amarapali, Supertech, Panchsheel, Gayatri and Stellar will be affected.
Several builders have launched their housing projects in Patwari village and hundreds of people have made bookings in the upcoming dwelling units, some of which are either in various phases of construction or in the drawing board stage.
Greater Noida Authority had acquired nearly 589 hectares land from farmers in Patwari village and sold it to builders for constructing residential units in 2008.
The High Court was of the view that since the land was acquired for residential purposes, there was "no urgency involved" and hence "acquisition should not have taken place without giving the affected parties an opportunity for hearing, which would have facilitated payment of adequate compensation".
Earlier, the Allahabad High court had cancelled acquisition of nearly 156 hectares of land from villagers and farmers of Shahberi village. The Supreme Court had upheld the High Court verdict earlier this month.
The Supreme Court had come down heavily on the state governments which had acquired land for public purpose but were later allotted to other beneficiaries.
As per reports, Chief Minister Mayawati has reacted to the judgment by sacking Noida development Authority CEO Mohinder Singh. He has been replaced with Balwinder Singh.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- NIO discovers world's first ancient settlement destroyed by tsunami
- Apple sends out invite for iPhone 7 launch event
- Dhanush to produce Rajinikanth's next film
- Longtime Google executive leaves Uber board of directors
- India, US sign military logistics agreement; can now use each other`s assets, bases