More ministers of BSP regime may land up in jail: UP CM
Lucknow: Amidst reports of state`s vigilance department seeking permission for further action against former BSP ministers, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday said some more ministers of the previous regime could land up in jail.
"Some ministers of the Mayawati government are in jail and some more can go there...Action will be taken on some more ministers who are accused of wrongdoings," Yadav said to queries over Vigilance department seeking permission for filing FIR against five and charge sheet against three others.
"How many ministers of the previous government will go to jail cannot be spelt out as of now," he said in reply to another question.
According to official sources, Vigilance department has sought permission from the government to file charge sheet against three former ministers of the BSP government - Rangnath Misra, Avadhpal and Badshah Singh - on various charges, including those under Prevention of Corruption Act.
The department has also sought permission to lodge FIR and conduct probe against five other former ministers - Chandra Dev, Naseemuddin Siddiqui, Ramvir Upadhyay, Rakesh Dhar Tripathi and Babu Singh Kushwaha.
Vigilance department has already lodged a case against another former minister Ram Achal Rajbhar and investigations are on.
Lokayukta NK Mehrotra had investigated charges against these ministers and found these prima facie correct.
In his report to the Chief Minister, he had recommended formal investigation by the Vigilance and other agencies. The government had then handed over the inquiry to the Vigilance department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets