MP detained en route to violence-hit village in UP
Moradabad: Congress MP Rashid Alvi was on Friday detained by the Uttar Pradesh police for trying to enter into a violence-hit village where restrictions are in force.
Alvi and his supporters were arrested this morning at Gajraula when they were trying to enter into Asalat Nagar Bagha to meet villagers who were agitating against alleged police misbehaviour with women in the village. They were later released.
"This action of the state government is totally unconstitutional. Every politician has the right to know about any injustice done to the people," the MP said.
Police said Alvi and his supporters were picked up as Sec 144 (joining unlawful assembly armed with deadly weapon) is in force there.
“Police force has been deployed in the area and peace has returned to the village," IG Muradabad M K Bashal said.
The trouble had arisen in Asalat Nagar Bagha on July 6 when a police team, which raided the village in connection with a case, faced stiff resistance from locals.
SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, Congress MP Mohammad Azharuddin, SP leader Azam Khan and BJP national vice president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi were also detained on Thursday when they were on their way to the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?