Mulayam case: CBI chief orders probe into leakage
New Delhi: A red-faced CBI on Tuesday ordered a probe into the leakage of its internal documents on the disproportionate assets case against Mulayam Singh Yadav even as it refuted reports that the case is being closed, saying no decision has been taken on it.
As opposition parties accused the government of using CBI for its political ends, the agency Director Ranjit Sinha asserted, "No final decision has been taken on the file pertaining to the case. The file has not even reached me. A final call is yet to be taken."
He regretted that documents were being leaked by some vested interests from the premier probe agency even before a final call had been taken and announced a probe to nail the CBI officers involved in it.
The CBI officials are believed to have suggested filing a closure report in the alleged acquisition of disproportionate assets by the Samajwadi Party chief and his son Akhilesh Yadav, the UP Chief Minister.
The agency has taken the line that the increase in the assets of father-son duo was primarily because of loans from relatives which were later claimed to be gifts. The agency could not find any unexplained increase in their assets, sources said.
The CBI was looking into the period between 1993 and 2005 during which it was alleged that investments by Mulayam and Akhilesh had grown manifold.
CBI sources said an inquiry has been completed by the investigators who have given their findings to the senior officials to take a view whether to close the case or convert it into a regular case and probe it further.
In many cases, the sources said, decisions of the probe teams have been overturned as senior officials had spotted angles which could be probed further.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Maharashtra Board HSC Examination Results 2016: (maharesult.nic.in) MSBSHSE Class 12th Result 2016, Maharashtra Board Plus two Result to be declared on May 25 (today)
- Six more arrested for attack on Punjab spiritual leader Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwale
- IPL 9: RCB skipper Virat Kohli 81-run short to create history this season
- Second seed Andy Murray battles into French Open second round
- Watch video: Furious and stormy young sun seeded life on Earth, says NASA