Mulayam eyes Centre, claims to form govt in 2014
Lucknow: Claiming that his party could come to power at the Centre, Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav on Saturday said the present political equations indicate that both Congress and BJP would not be able to get a majority in the 2014 general election.
He hinted that third front could form a government.
"The present equations indicate that both the national parties- Congress and the BJP- would not be able to get majority and in many states it is the third front which appears to be winning," the former chief minister said.
Uttar Pradesh would play an important role in the coming elections and it is the responsibility of SP workers and leaders to help the party win 60 seats, he said.
By winning maximum seats in the Lok Sabha, party would maintain its upper hand, he said adding that "it could also come to power at the Centre."
He asked party workers to maintain decorum and help find solutions to the problems faced by the people.
"The workers should behave properly and become a partner in resolving problems of the common people...If the image of the party and the government remains good, it will gain confidence of the people," Yadav was quoted as telling his workers in a party release.
On the election promises, he said that distribution of unemployment allowance and `Kanya Vidyadhan Yojna` would start soon and the promise to provide free irrigation water would also be fulfilled.
Asking the workers to remain prepared for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Yadav said the people of the state have given a historic mandate to the Samajwadi Party which has stunned the entire nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof