Mulayam keeps option open on race for PM`s post
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav on Sunday appeared to keep open the option of joining the race for Prime Ministership in 2014.
"I am not in the race for Prime Ministership....I was also not in the race of becoming Chief Minister but situation gave me the post. It all depends on it (situation)," he told reporters when asked whether he was vying for the post of the Prime Minister in 2014 when Lok Sabha polls are due.
Yadav and former UP and Uttarakhand chief minister Narain Dutt Tiwari were addressing the media at the SP Chief`s residence at 5 Vikramaditya Marg here.
On chances of his joining Samajwadi Party and contesting the general elections, Tiwari said that he was a Samajwadi since he followed the ideology of "samajwad" (socialism).
He, however, ruled out the possibility of contesting elections citing his age.
"I am 88 years...The elections are to be held in 2014...I will not be contesting it," he said.
Asked about his viewpoint on FDI in multi-brand retail, Tiwari said it was in the interest of country and the need of the hour was to attract foreign investment.
Tiwari, however, said that he would not try to impose his view on SP on supporting FDI. He said Uttar Pradesh needed investment for development and the SP supremo would do whatever was in the interest of the country.
Yadav, when asked about the issue, said his party would participate in the debate on FDI in Parliament on December 04.
About SP`s stand on voting on FDI in Parliament, Yadav said that party`s Parliamentary Board would decide on it.
Tiwari when asked whether he was disillusioned with Congress said, "Such questions should not be asked."
To a question on Rahul Gandhi becoming Prime Minister in the future, Tiwari said, "Time will tell what will happen."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!