Mulayam keeps option open on race for PM`s post
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav on Sunday appeared to keep open the option of joining the race for Prime Ministership in 2014.
"I am not in the race for Prime Ministership....I was also not in the race of becoming Chief Minister but situation gave me the post. It all depends on it (situation)," he told reporters when asked whether he was vying for the post of the Prime Minister in 2014 when Lok Sabha polls are due.
Yadav and former UP and Uttarakhand chief minister Narain Dutt Tiwari were addressing the media at the SP Chief`s residence at 5 Vikramaditya Marg here.
On chances of his joining Samajwadi Party and contesting the general elections, Tiwari said that he was a Samajwadi since he followed the ideology of "samajwad" (socialism).
He, however, ruled out the possibility of contesting elections citing his age.
"I am 88 years...The elections are to be held in 2014...I will not be contesting it," he said.
Asked about his viewpoint on FDI in multi-brand retail, Tiwari said it was in the interest of country and the need of the hour was to attract foreign investment.
Tiwari, however, said that he would not try to impose his view on SP on supporting FDI. He said Uttar Pradesh needed investment for development and the SP supremo would do whatever was in the interest of the country.
Yadav, when asked about the issue, said his party would participate in the debate on FDI in Parliament on December 04.
About SP`s stand on voting on FDI in Parliament, Yadav said that party`s Parliamentary Board would decide on it.
Tiwari when asked whether he was disillusioned with Congress said, "Such questions should not be asked."
To a question on Rahul Gandhi becoming Prime Minister in the future, Tiwari said, "Time will tell what will happen."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof