`Mulayam must seek pardon for Ayodhya comments`
Lucknow: A Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader on Saturday demanded that Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav should seek pardon for his comments that the Allahabad High Court`s verdict on the Ayodhya dispute was based on belief and not legalities and evidences.
"His (Yadav`s) comments are extremely unfortunate…He must seek pardon from the people of this country, particularly the natives of Ayodhya," said Vinay Katiyar, BJP national vice-president, while speaking to reporters in Faizabad district, some 150 km from Lucknow.
"On behalf of the residents of the holy Ayodhya city, I demand that Mulayam Singh must bow his head at the Ram Lalla (the makeshift temple at the disputed site) and seek pardon," he added.
Katiyar alleged that Yadav`s comments are intended to solicit support from the minority community.
"It is a desperate attempt to win back the Muslims… It`s disgraceful that Mulayam Singh is exploiting the issue for appeasement of Muslims," Katiyar said.
A special three-judge bench of the Allahabad High Court`s Lucknow bench Thursday by a majority verdict ruled that the place where the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya stood, before it was razed by Hindu mobs in 1992, was indeed the birthplace of Hindu God Ram.
It also ruled that the entire disputed land in Ayodhya, a riverside temple town in Uttar Pradesh, should be divided among the Sunni Central Waqf Board, the Ram temple and the Nirmohi Akhara, a Hindu sect and an original litigant in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez